The upgrade of Lord Baden Powell Drive on the western face of Willans Hill is currently underway.
The works will improve access to the Museum of the Riverina, Kurrajong Industries and Wagga Steam and Vintage Engine Museum.
For pedestrians, the project will make it easier and safer to cross Lord Baden Powell Drive from the Botanic Gardens to the Museum of the Riverina and other businesses along that side of the road.
For motorists, the upgrade prioritises safety of vehicles exiting the Museum of the Riverina access road or Kurrajong and those already travelling on Lord Baden Powell Drive.
The upgrade includes:
- installing two refuge crossings to increase the safety of pedestrians crossing the road between the Museum of the Riverina and the Botanic Gardens
- approved vegetation clearance to ensure maximum possible line of sight for vehicles approaching the refuge islands and for pedestrians of approaching vehicles
- reshaping the intersection of Lord Baden Powell Drive and the Museum of the Riverina access lane to improve the safety of vehicle movements
- a new entrance to Kurrajong
- reconstruction of road pavement and surface.
Council and contractors are working to complete the works within about 36 weeks. However, like all road and construction projects, this timeline is subject to weather conditions and other unforeseen circumstances.