The project consists of three stages covering two major intersection upgrades and the replacement and reconstruction of a considerable portion of the road.
The following progress has been updated on 30 November 2023:
Stage 1: Dunns Road Reconstruction and Sealing:
- This 3.3 km sealed section is now complete with recent line marking.
- Guard rail safety barriers, signpost and guide post installation has been completed.
Stage 2: Olympic Highway Intersection:
- This intersection is 95% complete.
- Pavement construction completed.
- Final asphalt work completed.
- Line marking completed.
- Intersection lighting 90%complete
- This Road will remain closed until the Roundabout is completed at the Holbrook Rd. intersection.
Stage 3: Dunns Road x Holbrook Road roundabout construction:
- The roundabout construction at the intersection of Dunn’s Road and the Holbrook Road has commenced.
- Preliminary site clearing, surrounding stormwater drainage and associated earthworks will be completed prior to the construction of the central roundabout.
- Traffic detours will be deferred until the central roundabout construction commences in January 2024
The Dunns Road upgrade project aims to seal 3.3km from the Olympic Highway intersection heading east towards the Holbrook Road intersection.
The road began as an unsealed 'goat track' that serviced local farmland. Over time, and as the surrounding area was developed, Dunns Road became a popular short cut for people heading to southern Wagga Wagga.
Unfortunately the original road was narrow, undulating and unsealed. As the traffic volumes increased, accidents began occurring at a disproportionate rate to the traffic volume using the road.
A 2018 traffic count confirmed that 331 vehicles use the road daily at the western end of the existing sub divisional development. Once the upgrade is completed, it is anticipated that traffic volumes are likely to increase to 1,000 vehicles per day.
The project has three key components:
- sealing the unsealed section of Dunns Road
- upgrade of the Olympic Highway/ Dunns Road intersection
- construction of a roundabout at the Holbrook Road/ Dunns Road intersection.
- A safer and more direct route to the southern suburbs of Wagga Wagga residential area, to the airport and to major sporting and recreational facilities from the Olympic Highway.
- The proposed construction of a roundabout at the Holbrook Road and Dunns Road intersection, along with the reduced speed limit to 60 km per hour on both Dunns Road and Lloyd Road (urban sections only), will increase safety at the intersection, especially on approach to Holbrook Road.
- Improved traffic flow to and from the outlying townships of Uranquinty, The Rock and the Australian Army base at Kapooka.