About the Plan

Since European settlement in the 1830s more than 90 per cent of the native vegetation cover has been cleared for agriculture and urban development. The remaining 10 per cent exists in pockets and is threatened by over clearing, isolation, grazing, climate change, inappropriate wood collection and weed and pest invasion. Very few remnants are in good condition, mostly restricted to a small number of travelling stock reserves and routes, roadsides and private land.

This extensive clearing has resulted in the loss of habitat for a number of native species within the Wagga Wagga Local Government Area (LGA). This loss of habitat has decreased specie populations causing certain species to become threatened through state and commonwealth legislation.

The draft Plan aims to protect, enhance, and increase targeted arboreal habitat in the Wagga Wagga LGA, in turn increasing population numbers. Although the draft Plan details only arboreal mammals, managing these threatened species will also benefit other threatened species and non-threatened species.

Targeted species include:

  • Koala
  • Squirrel Glider
  • Grey-headed Flying-fox
  • Six species of microbats

The draft Plan is divided into five main focus areas, with the following key outcomes:

  • Educate and inspire the community;
  • Increase data gathering and sharing;
  • Manage pest species;
  • Enhance the quality of existing habitat;
  • Increase the extent of habitats and populations.

Banner Image Credit: Australiannature.com © Pavel German

Adopted Document

Council adopted the Arboreal Mammal Management Plan at the 9 October 2023 Ordinary Council Meeting.

The adopted document can be found on the Arboreal Mammal Management Plan 2023/33 page on our website.

Make a Submission